One of the most common applications for utilising the scan data output from 3D optical or CT scanning is reverse engineering
Scanning & Reverse Engineering
The PES scanning team is in a unique position to be fully supported by it’s sister division PES Performance. Our engineering design team at PES Performance have delivered many complex reverse engineering projects, from providing a full set up 2D, 3D and manufacturing drawings on an original piece of equipment, through to performance optimisation of the existing piece.
We can deliver using ‘design intent ‘or ‘as manufactured. The combined team operates in multiple sectors including aerospace, medical, maritime, oil and gas, rail and many other sectors.
The senior engineering team have managed complex and multi million pound projects utilising 3D scanning and reverse engineering as part of the solution process.
Not just a Scanning Solution
They therefore have access to qualified and experienced design engineers, with a combined experience across multiple sectors of over 35 years, who specialise in reverse engineering and optimisation giving our clients a ‘one stop’ solution. No other scanning business has this in-depth knowledge and in-house engineering design capability.
What is Reverse Engineering?
Reverse engineering is the process of collecting data from a piece of equipment, object or system through analysis of its structure, function and operation. It often involves deconstructing an object and analysing its workings in detail.
Some Reasons for reverse engineering:
- Spare & Manufacturing. Deliver full set of 2D, 3D and manufacturing drawings for the re manufacture of spare parts or re-commissioning a piece of equipment.
- Performance Optimisation. This is where the PES team excel and optimisation is about capturing the data of a current piece of equipment and improve its performance, structurally, in manufacture or in optimising the time a part takes to fit as part of a larger piece of equipment.
- Commercial or Military Data Capture Learning about an competitor’s latest research by capturing data to secure as much data as possible to understand its capabilities. It may result in development of similar product.
- Documentation improvement: Reverse engineering can be done when documentation of a piece of equipment, production, operation or maintenance have shortcomings and original designers are not available.
- Legacy Equipment: PES will capture the data of a piece of equipment or product that was design pre-digitisation. We will capture the data and reproduce it in a digital model in CAD. One of the applications for this process can be part of a Planned Preventative Maintenance programme when we capture the data and have this archived and available to manufacture spares, therefore reducing the ‘downtime’ and saving time and money in a manufacturing process.
- Restoration. Optical scanning compliments any restoration project for by data collection archiving and also the accurate restoration of a classic or heritage piece.
If you would like to discuss you project and how scanning can offer you a solution for reverse engineering or you would like us to come and present to your team then please call us for a chat or drop us an e-mail with your enquiry.
Siemens NX CAD software
Our engineering team use Siemens NX software. This provides integrated product design, engineering and manufacturing solutions including;
- Key capabilities for fast, efficient and flexible product development:
- Advanced solutions for conceptual design, 3D modeling and documentation
- Multi-discipline simulation for structural, motion, thermal, flow and multi-physics applications
- Complete part manufacturing solutions for tooling, machining and quality inspection
NX software allows our team to design, simulate and manufacture products faster by enabling design decisions to be made in an integrated product development environment.