Industrial 3D Scanning Services
At PES Scanning we offer full end-to-end industrial 3D scanning services for engineers & manufacturers, with solutions from data capture and engineering design through to manufacture.
What can we offer?
- A 3D Scanning service, providing solutions from qualified and experienced design engineers, with a combined experience across multiple sectors of over 45 years.
- When comparing the measured data with CAD data (IGES, VDA, STEP, Catia, ProE, UG …), the corresponding measuring reports are created in the familiar formats:
- False-colour representation
- Deviation of individual points as label
- Sections, angles and distances
- Diameters and flatness
- Tables and lists
What is 3D Scanning?
3D Scanning technology is a non-contact, non-destructive technology that digitally captures the shape and detailed measurement information of physical objects.
The 3D scanner projects precise fringe patterns (in the case of optical scanners), or a line of laser light onto the surface of the object. These patterns or laser lines are captured with precision accuracy by the scanner’s two cameras. They continuously record the changing distance and shape of the object in three dimensions (XYZ) as it moves along the object.
These coordinate points can be calculated in the 3D scanning software. This is possible as the beam paths of both cameras and the optical projector or laser are fixed and calibrated in advance. The result is a point cloud of complete measuring scan data without holes or erratic points.
We utilise a variety of 3D scanning system including the GOM 3D optical scanning system to deliver a number of our scanning services. GOM is an industry-standard system used by leading companies including Boeing and Jaguar Land Rover (JLR).
Find out more about the 3D scanning process.
What can 3D scanning services be used for?
The scan data can be used in 3D modelling for;
- Quality Inspection of sheet metal parts and car bodies, e.g. in pilot production, process optimising, tool try-outs, start of series production or during random samples
- Reverse Engineering of components, particularly legacy parts produced in the pre-digital era
- Quality Inspection of large objects, e.g. aircraft, ships, wind turbines, etc.
- Verification of plastic parts, e.g. for first article inspection
- Verification and recording of jigs and fixtures
- Measuring of models and prototypes, e.g. vehicle interior and exterior design
- Measuring of reference point fields
We have a full glossary of terms relating to photogrammetry and 3D scanning.
If you would like to discuss your project and how our 3D scanning service solutions can help you, then please
call us for a chat at +44 (0) 114 321 6375 or contact us.