Museums and Collections
3D scanning allows museums and collections to preserve their artefacts
What can we offer?
Our 3D scanning equipment, can be used to capture the form of the original artefact. The non-destructive nature of the technology ensures the preservation of the artefact, and the scans can help aid a greater appreciation for the artist’s original style.
From building rapid prototype models and producing casting moulds, creating precise replicas from your original model, or using the scan data to aid repairs if required; 3D scanning can help.
Benefits of 3D Scanning – Accuracy & Flexibility
- Optical scanners can deliver a scan accuracy of < 0.05mm/m3(human hair is normally between 0.06 & 0.08mm). However, in controlled environments this can be improved further.
- The scanning technology can help deliver a true and accurate representation of the artefact; something that cannot be produced through traditional modelling.
- Your experts can sit with our engineers and clean up the artefact scans digitally if required. You retain full control.
Benefits of 3D Scanning – Insurance & Restoration
- The scan data can produce 3D digital archive for records, insurance or restoration purposes. For example, if the original object got damaged or broken.
- The scan data is owned by yourselves and you are able to use this data for a variety of purposes as required.
Benefits of 3D Scanning – Increasing commercial opportunities
- 3D rendered images can be produced as digital presentations or educational tools.
- Small artefacts can be scanned and scaled up to create large display pieces.
- Moulds for casting can be produced direct from the data – no need to create models.
- The data can be used to deliver 3D interactive computer models.
- Manufacturing drawings or files can be created to help with the manufacture of replicas.
- This method is highly time effective, as replicating intricate details of artefacts and sculptures would be otherwise impossible to reproduce in a reasonable timescale using traditional methods.
If you would like to discuss your project and how our solutions can help you, then please
call us for a chat at +44 (0) 114 321 6375 or contact us.